We value feedback from our stakeholders about our program and we appreciate positive recognition from international institutions and rating agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and socially responsible investment (SRI) analysts. These organizations evaluate our work through in-depth analysis of the company’s environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) programs, including document review and interviews with employees and management. The following awards demonstrate external recognition and acknowledgement of adidas' sustainability initiatives worldwide.
ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL AND CORPORATE GOVERNANCE PERFORMANCE (ESG)
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices: In September 2019, for the 20th year in a row, adidas has been included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI), which evaluate the sustainability performance of the largest 2,500 companies listed in the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index. In the “Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods Industry”, adidas was ranked best in its industry in the criteria of Brand Management, Information Security/Cyber Security & System Availability, Environmental Policy & Management Systems, Operational Eco-Efficiency, Social Reporting and Talent Attraction & Retention. Click here to read more about Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
- FTSE4Good Index Series: In 2019, adidas was again included in the FTSE4Good Index. FTSE Russell (the trading name of FTSE International Limited and Frank Russell Company) confirms that adidas has been independently assessed according to the FTSE4Good criteria, and has satisfied the requirements to become a constituent of the FTSE4Good Index Series. Created by the global index provider FTSE Russell, the FTSE4Good Index Series is designed to measure the performance of companies demonstrating strong Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) practices. The FTSE4Good indices are used by a wide variety of market participants to create and assess responsible investment funds and other products. Click here to read more about FTSE4Good Index Series.
- MSCI Global Sustainability, ESG and SRI Indices: Throughout 2019, adidas remained a constituent of MSCI World ESG Leaders Index, MSCI Global Sustainability Indices and the MSCI Global SRI Indices. Click here to read more about MSCI Indices.
- STOXX Global ESG Leaders Indices: Throughout 2019, adidas AG was once again included in the STOXX Global ESG Leaders indices. The index family is made up of three specialized indices for the categories environmental, social and governance, and one broad index which sums up the specialized indexes. The index family is based on relevant key performance indicators (KPIs) provided by the index partner Sustainalytics, a leading global provider of ESG research and analysis. Click here to read more about STOXX ESG Leaders indices.
- Ethibel Sustainability Indices: In 2019, adidas AG has been reconfirmed as a constituent of the Ethibel Sustainability Index (ESI) Excellence Europe and the Ethibel Sustainability Index (ESI) Excellence Global. The Ethibel Sustainability Indices (ESI Excellence Europe & ESI Excellence Global) are composed of companies belonging to the Ethibel Register based on a best-in-class approach combined with ethical exclusion criteria. Click here to read more about ESI indices.
- ECPI Indices: In 2019, adidas AG has again been included in the ECPI Indices. ECPI is dedicated to environmental, social and governance (ESG) research and index development, calculation and publication. ECPI offers a wide range of ESG indices built using its proprietary ESG Rating Methodology (positive screening) and controversial sector exclusion (negative screening). Click here to read more about ECPI indices.
- Global 100 Index: In 2019, adidas was again listed in the 'Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World' and recognized as leader in its industry. This was announced by Corporate Knights, a Toronto-based media and investment advisory company, during the World Economic Forum in Davos. The 'Global 100 Index' is an annual project initiated by Corporate Knights. Click here to read more about the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World.
- CDP Climate Change and Water: adidas annually reports to the CDP questionnaires 'Climate Change' and 'Water'. CDP, formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project, runs a global disclosure system that enables companies, cities, states and regions to measure and manage their environmental impacts. Investors and purchasers, representing over $100 trillion, along with policy makers around the globe, use this self-reported data and insights to make better-informed decisions. The information provided is evaluated and transformed into detailed analysis on critical environmental risks, opportunities and impacts. In 2019, was awarded with a 'B score' for 'Climate Change' and a 'B score' for 'Water'. The results show that the company has implemented a range of best practice actions to manage climate change and water risks, both in its own operations and beyond them. Click here to read more about CDP and to read our responses.
- Green Supply Chain Corporate Information Transparency Index: In 2019, the company was positioned second in the textiles industry in the annual Green Supply Chain Corporate Information Transparency Index (CITI), which forms the first quantitative evaluation system designed to assess brands’ environmental management of their supply chains in China. Click here to read more.
- Fair Labor Assocation Accreditation: In 1999, adidas joined the Fair Labor Association (FLA), a non-profit multi-stakeholder coalition of private corporations, non-governmental organizations and universities. As a member, adidas is subject to external monitoring by independent monitors, participation in the FLA third-party complaint system and public reporting. In 2017, for the third time, the company received accreditation for its social supply chain program by the FLA. Our program was first accredited by the FLA in 2005, then reaccredited in 2008 and 2017. Click here to read more.
- Corporate Human Rights Benchmark: In the 2019 Corporate Human Rights Benchmark (CHRB) evaluation adidas maintained its overall leadership position. The CHRB rates the top 500 globally listed companies on their human rights policy, process, and performance. Click here to read more.
- Know the Chain Benchmark: In 2018, adidas ranked first out of 44 apparel and footwear companies in the KnowTheChain evaluation, and was recognized for its programs to address Forced Labor risks in its supply chain. Click here to read more.
- Stop Slavery Award: In 2017, adidas was announced as the overall winner of the second Thomson Reuters Foundation Stop Slavery Award in London. The award celebrates businesses that excel in identifying, investigating and rooting out forced labor from their supply chains. adidas was praised for its transparent audits, strong responsible sourcing guidelines and robust tools to trace higher-risk supply chains. Click here to read more.
2011 – SILVER MEDAL FOR ADIDAS AG AS 'SUSTAINABLE RETAIL COMPANY 2011'
As part of a project called "Sustainable Retail Company 2011", the VERBRAUCHER INITIATIVE e.V. (a federal consumer association) awarded adidas the silver medal. The project, which was supported by the Federal Environment Ministry and the Federal Environment Agency, assessed the social and environmental activities of the retail business in a comprehensive and cross-sectoral way. The survey (developed by Öko-Institut e.V.) included industry-specific questions related to the sustainable engagement of companies along their supply chain, from the production of raw materials to transport and waste disposal. Further information is available at www.nachhaltig-einkaufen.de (in German only).
2009 - BEST RATING BY EUROPEAN CONSUMER ORGANISATIONS
In a running shoe test by nine leading European consumer organisations, adidas was rated first for managing corporate responsibility issues. Under the leadership of the International Consumer Research & Testing (ICRT) organisation, nine European consumer organisations – including the German consumer organisation STIFTUNG WARENTEST – carried out a comprehensive research project into the social and environmental production context of running shoes from different brands, including adidas and Reebok.
The excellent rating of adidas related to labour, health, safety and environmental conditions in the manufacturing process is the result of an in-depth evaluation by ICRT and the independent monitoring organisation ENGAGED which reveals the consistent performance of adidas and its suppliers.
In 2005, our monitoring programme was among the first to receive FLA accreditation. The accreditation signifies that we are in substantial compliance with FLA requirements to implement a rigorous workplace code of conduct in factories making our products. Re-accredited in October 2008, the company’s next accreditation is planned for 2017.
More information about the FLA.
2007 – B.A.U.M. ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD 2007 FOR FRANK HENKE, SOCIAL & ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS, ADIDAS
In June 2007, Frank Henke received a B.A.U.M. Environmental Award on behalf of adidas. His personal contribution and adidas’ commitment to improve the social and environmental conditions in its international supply chain were given special mention. The award is granted only to citizens who have been working extensively towards better environmental protection and who deal with social issues and sustainable development.
B.A.U.M. was founded in 1984 by a group of German entrepreneurs who wanted to support each other in implementing environmental management within their companies. Since then, more than 500 companies as well as non-profit organisations, institutions and individuals have become members of B.A.U.M. Today B.A.U.M. is the European business community's largest environmental initiative.
For further information visit www.baum-umweltpreis.de.
2006 – PRODUCT RATED BEST FOR QUALITY AND CSR BY STIFTUNG WARENTEST
Before the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ in Germany, the adidas +Teamgeist match ball obtained the best rating of all ball products tested by the German consumer organisation STIFTUNG WARENTEST. Our +Teamgeist match ball was chosen not only for its functionality, quality and material safety but also for the suppliers’ working conditions and the overall CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) performance of adidas.
STIFTUNG WARENTEST has been assessing the social and environmental performance of companies in product manufacturing since 2004. During the evaluation process we provided detailed CSR information about the company’s social and environmental programmes and initiatives, the products and the supplier sites. Part of the rating approach was the external validation and verification of information we submitted. Verification audits were conducted at the two supplier sites in Thailand and Pakistan, following a verification visit to our Headquarters in Herzogenaurach, Germany.
More information about STIFTUNG WARENTEST.
2006 – ADIDAS AMONG TOP EMPLOYERS OF THE YEAR
adidas is voted one of the Top Employers in Germany by "karriere" magazine. The overall ranking, which was conducted by the Corporate Research Foundation, listed adidas AG as number six in the list of Top Employers in Germany. In the category "Job Security", adidas AG came a close second; in the category "Market Leader", adidas ranked third.
Also in 2006, we ranked second in a list of the 100 most attractive employers for business students according to “The European Student Barometer”, a survey of university students across 14 European countries.
2005 – environmental manager OF THE YEAR
The World Wide Fund for Nature Germany (WWF) and German business magazine Capital named adidas' CEO Herbert Hainer "Ökomanager des Jahres" (Environmental Manager of the Year). The jury valued the company’s efforts in improving the ecological and social conditions in the factories producing its products.
2002/2004 – BEST SUSTAINABILITY REPORTING
The German Chamber of Public Accountants awarded the "Best sustainability reporting" prize to the adidas for its 2002 and 2004 social and environmental reports. The jury especially emphasised the consistently high quality of the sustainability reports and the proactive management of specific issues.