At a global launch event today, adidas introduced a new way to run by unveiling its latest running innovation Energy Boost. Part of a new adidas segment called Energy Running, the shoe features BOOST™, a revolutionary cushioning technology which provides the highest energy return in the running industry.
“adidas helps make athletes better. With our new Boost foam, we are addressing a fundamental insight: everyone wants more energy. Whether you're running a marathon, training for an upcoming season or just trying to get back in shape, our revolutionary Boost cushioning foam provides the highest energy return in any running products,” says Eric Liedtke, Head of Sport Performance, “Energy Boost will reset the running industry and pave the way for all future performance footwear.”
BOOST™ combines performance benefits that have been contradictory in the past: soft cushioning and responsiveness work together at last to give runners a running experience unlike any other.
“Energy is one of the most important elements for any athlete. Often people only think about speed, but energy is the secret weapon that can set you apart from the competition. An added boost of energy is what allows you to push yourself ahead of everyone else to cross that finish line first, especially in a sprint when every millisecond counts,” says Yohan Blake, the current 100m World Champion who joined adidas at the launch of Energy Boost.
BOOST YOUR CUSHIONING
The foundation of the BOOST™ innovation is centred on its cushioning material. Based on a groundbreaking development process created by adidas partner BASF, the world's leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into thousands of small energy capsules which make up the footwear’s distinctive midsole. With their unique cell structure, these capsules store and unleash energy more efficiently in every stride. Tests conducted by the adidas Innovation Team show that the highly durable material found only in Energy Boost products provides the highest energy return in the running industry.
BOOST YOUR CONDITIONS
The new cushioning material not only provides the highest energy return in the industry, it also holds its performance in almost any condition at unparalleled levels. The adidas Innovation Team tested how the BOOST™ foam material reacted in a variety of temperatures compared to standard EVA foam commonly used in most running shoes.
These tests revealed that, when taken from +40 to -20 degrees Celsius, BOOST™ foam is three times more temperature-resistant than standard EVA material, providing a more consistent run.
BOOST YOUR COMFORT
The innovation goes beyond the revolutionary midsole technology. The upper on the Energy Boost features adidas Techfit technology with highly durable and elastic polyurethane, providing optimal comfort and support to the entire foot while in motion. A stretch, breathable mesh material offers the fit of a sock while engineered powerbands across the upper provide targeted support and stabilise the foot where needed when moving.
BOOST YOUR RUN
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The new adidas Energy Running segment caters to the one need every athlete has: energy.
- The first product within this segment is Energy Boost. The running shoe features BOOST™, the revolutionary cushioning material with the highest energy return in the running industry.
- The BOOST™ foam material combines previously contradicting performance benefits of soft and responsive cushioning.
- The energy return is provided by energy capsules in the midsole which store and release energy so efficiently that runners feel the difference from the first moment they put the shoes on.
- Based on an innovative process developed by adidas’ partner BASF, the world's leading chemical company, solid granular material (TPU) is literally blown up and turned into small energy capsules which make up the shoe’s distinctive midsole.