Managing our environmental impacts at our own sites and along the value chain, where our products are designed, created, manufactured, transported and sold, is a key focus of our work.
Environmental Strategy 2015
Building on several environmental initiatives over the past years, in 2010, we developed a coherent Environmental Strategy for the whole adidas Group, which aims to reduce our relative environmental footprint by 15% by 2015. The strategy follows a clear vision and mission and sets annual milestones which will enable the achievement of the 2015 targets. These targets cover our whole value chain from product creation to sourcing and manufacturing and from our own operations to our stores and all other sales points. Our approach is to manage environmental issues as an integral part of our daily operations, positively contributing to the adidas Group’s overall business performance. An Environmental Strategy team, led by Group Social and Environmental Affairs (SEA) and consisting of representatives of all brands and core functions, reports to the adidas Group Executive Board.
Vision and Mission
The adidas Group’s environmental vision and mission reflect the principles of business integration and operational excellence.
|Vision – Our commitment to improve our environmental footprint is embedded in all our products, processes and services.|
|Mission – Adopting a leadership role in environmental management supports our business performance. This means for our different target groups:|
- Our employees are proud and passionate to work for the adidas Group because we operate honestly and deliver our environmental commitments by empowering our workforce to think and act green.
- We actively shape the industry and lead the way by sharing best practice and partnering with others to achieve environmental sustainability.
- Our shareholders invest in our company as they recognise we manage our business profitably and responsibly, based on long-term goals and the expectations of our society.
- Our customers and consumers value our products for their performance, quality and environmental credentials.
Environmental Impact Areas
For the adidas Group, we identified eight types of environmental impact categories that occur across our value chain. These are illustrated below:
We have assessed the relative importance of these impact categories and prioritised actions accordingly. The main ways we can make a difference are to manage resources efficiently and manage hazards and emissions.
So we aim to:
- Save energy and reduce carbon emissions
- Save water
- Reduce the use of non-renewable raw materials, using more environmentally friendly materials
- Reduce waste
- Reduce toxicity, for example through using less hazardous chemicals and through efforts to reduce the pollutants in waste water at supplier factories
- Improve the environmental footprint of raw materials and products
- Manage supplier performance through auditing, measuring and reporting against key performance indicators
- Use management systems to drive continuous improvement.
Read more about the environmental impacts associated with our products.