About our programme
Being a sustainable business is about striking the balance between shareholder expectations and the needs and concerns of our employees, the workers in our supply chain and the environment.
We have been working towards sustainability for many years and recognise that the task before us is a marathon, not a sprint. It is about preparedness and setting the right pace, having both the drive and stamina to make the distance. And most of all, it is about endurance: overcoming setbacks and difficulties, keeping the finishing line always in the forefront of our minds.
It is not easy to run our business sustainably but we know we have to rise to the challenges we face if we are to make progress. Our response to these challenges is rooted in our business values and we have clear Sustainability Principles that we follow.
We actively engage with stakeholders to understand their concerns. These dialogues help us to plan the development of our programme and to manage risks the business faces. The strategy we have developed covers five areas:
- Embedding environmental sustainability across our business
- Achieving social compliance in our supply chain
- Extending our stakeholder engagement
- Creating the best and most productive workplace in the industry
- Making a difference in the communities where we operate.